Dr. Mark C. Bernhard, Associate Provost
Lee Ann Shafer, M.S. Ed., Academic Program Manager/BPS Advisor
Bachelor of Professional Studies Degree Program
Individualized Studies Concentration
The individualized studies concentration of the Bachelor of Professional Studies (BPS) degree program is designed to serve students who wish to pursue an interdisciplinary or applied baccalaureate degree program. BPS students pursuing an individualized studies concentration will work closely with an advisor to design a program of study to meet individual educational and career objectives. The flexibility of the individualized studies concentration will enable students to tailor educational experiences to meet personal goals, broaden their appreciation of the arts and sciences, enhance career skills and competencies, and increase career opportunities and choices.
Applied Studies Concentrations
The applied studies concentrations of the Bachelor of Professional Studies program are intended for individuals beyond the traditional college age with significant work experience and a strong desire to earn a degree relevant to career goals. BPS students pursuing an applied studies concentration will do so in an accelerated, cohort format (excluding the technical supervision and leadership concentration). Students in the public service and enterprising leadership concentrations will take a set curriculum in order to satisfy degree completion. Students can pursue a BPS in the public service or enterprising leadership concentration after completing sixty (60) credit hours and fulfilling the University of Southern Indiana Core 39 (not including the embedded experiences). The BPS applied studies concentrations are designed for students to gain specialized knowledge for practical application in either the public or private sector.
For additional information, contact Outreach & Engagement at 812-464-1863 or visit USI.edu/bps.
Requirements for the degree
- All University general admission requirements, academic policies, and academic standards for other baccalaureate degree programs apply to the BPS program.
- All students seeking the degree Bachelor of Professional Studies must fulfill Core 39 requirements. Core 39 requirements are listed elsewhere in this bulletin.
- At least 39 hours must be at the upper division (300-400) level.
- A minimum of 30 hours of credit toward the degree must be earned at USI.
- Students seeking admission to the BPS program should make application to the USI Office of Admission. Students pursuing an individualized study concentration can declare the major immediately upon entering the University. Students pursuing an applied studies concentration (public service or enterprising leadership) must have earned sixty (60) credit hours and fulfill the University of Southern Indiana Core 39, not including the embedded experiences, before applying to the BPS applied studies program. Due to the accelerated, cohort nature of the applied studies concentrations, students wishing to pursue this degree program must be accepted into the program by the BPS program director. The required sixty (60) credit hours can be earned at USI, transferred in from other accredited universities, or take the form of block credit based on an assessment of competencies and professional or technical training (i.e., military experience).
- Students must have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale in order to be considered for admission into one of the applied studies concentrations. Students cannot declare an individualized studies program of study with below a 2.0 cumulative undergraduate grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
- Up to six hours of credit may be earned through an occupational experience ( PRFS 490 - Professional Studies Internship ).
- Individualized Studies Concentration: BPS students who select the individualized studies option will work closely with an advisor to design a program of study to meet individual educational and career objectives. This flexible program enables students to create their own "major," utilizing courses from two or more academic disciplines. Previous hours earned at other institutions will be evaluated according to USI transfer policies.
- Applied Studies Concentration: This option is for students who have completed a formal associate degree program or have amassed considerable college credit. In order to be admitted into this concentration, applicants must have completed the USI Core 39 (not including embedded experiences) and have accumulated at least sixty (60) credit hours of college credit.
- Up to 60 hours may be transferred from associate degree programs, depending on the transferability of specific courses or programs. For technical degrees and/or certificates, credit may be awarded as a block (not a recognition of individual courses for transfer). The amount of credit awarded will be determined by the BPS program advisor.
Bachelor of Professional Studies